Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Spencer C Duncan Make It Count 5k

August 1, 2015 was the 4th Annual Spencer C Duncan Make It Count 5k. Proceeds benefit charities that support veterans.

This was my first time running this race. It was low key with lots of walkers, strollers and even some pups running or walking the race. I wanted to get a gauge of my fitness but it was hot and I ended up walking a little bit near the end when I got overheated. I met some RWB peeps though and that made it a fun event! I've run a couple races now wearing the RWB shirt but this is the first race where I actually got to meet some. It's nice to be able to show support for veterans and Team RWB is a great program to do that! And it was cool to receive dog tags for finishing rather than a medal!

Race bib, finisher dog tag and Team RWB shirt that I wore during the run.

Team RWB's mission is to enrich the lives of America's veterans by connecting them to their community through physical and social interaction. If you want to learn more visit their website at:  http://www.teamrwb.org/.

Here are some pics from the race:

JOCO Fire District #3 and MedAct were on scene for safety of participants.   
American flag was displayed flying between 2 fire trucks. How cool is that?
Volunteers! 

More volunteers!

This was the flyover prior to race start. It was so cool and deservedly received a round of applause.
Near the start.... this is the flag everyone turned to look at while the national anthem was played.
All throughout the race were military personnel holding a sign of a soldier lost in combat. 

Even the animals who served and died in combat were recognized! 
Me trotting along with another runner. I have both feet in the air in this pic! I was pretty sure I was slower than a turtle so to see a "flying" pic was kind of nice. In the background is one of the many military planes and other equipment that was on display during the event. 

More military equipment on display...
The helicopters were a popular attraction for participants to get a closer look at.


The flag flew over the finish line. Not a great pic of the finish line but trust me, it's there!
One of the awesome photographers on the course....

Next up on my calendar is the Royals Charities 5k. It fit nicely in to my training plan on a Saturday of a lighter week mileage wise. It will also be the first year I have participated in it. Should be interesting as it goes in to Royals Stadium and we run along the warning track in the outfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment